IN REVIEW: Hard Bitten by Chloe Neill


Released: May 3, 2011 350 pages
Publisher: New American Library
Format: Paperback
ISBN: 978-0-451-23332-5

I have to start with; you will be stunned by the end of this book. I was reading through it and got to the last chapters. I read them, mouth wide open, re-read them, eyes widen, re-read them again. My mind just couldn't grasp what it was reading. Let me start with the narrator, Merit.

Merit is such a strong character. She’s loyal, protective, constantly shares her love of Chicago’s fine cuisine, and just different from other supernatural heroines. I can understand Merit’s drive and decisions, even her choice about Ethan in Twice Bitten.

I was looking forward to this book to give me answers to nagging questions. What will Catcher's T-shirts say? Will Mallory destroy more unsuspecting furniture? Will Lindsey get over herself and kiss Luc? Is Jeff really off the singles list? What will Ethan do to gain back Merit’s trust?

Holy Mother F******! I never thought Ethan's trust would be regained the way it was. Do I think his character would do it? Yes, we know the lengths Ethan will go to. Did I think Chloe Neill would write it? Never.

Hard Bitten deals with the aftermath of the attack on Cadogan House. The raves previously investigated in Friday Night Bites are escalating into uncontrolled violence. The mayor threatens Ethan to close them down or be arrested himself. Then the European council threatens to take Cadogan House away from Ethan. None of this sits well with Merit. She is the Cadogan Sentinel and will fiercely protect the House and it’s Master. A few times during this book I just wanted to grab the council member, mayor and Morgan by the necks and just throttle them. I guess that means I really got into this book, including running various scenarios for the ending.

I have to say I suspected who was responsible for the raves early on. Then the mystery sent me in other directions, but my initial suspicion rang true in the end. I enjoyed the book, but Twice Bitten was/is(?) still my favorite, until I read the last 2 chapters of Hard Bitten. Now, I’m unsure which better (maybe a tie?). I love when the sexual tension is satisfied; I love when obstacles arise to test a relationship. But there is also something to be said for when a story doesn’t go the way you want it to, that makes it great.

Chloe Neill is a fantastic author. I love this series. I am grateful she was able to give me something I never expected; especially knowing the 5th book is coming out in 6 months. At the same time, I am so upset with her. I do trust her though. She has a reason for the ending and I will wait to see what happens next. If I wrote my expectations down, I would give too much away, if I haven’t already. It was so unexpected, I just want to scream out what Ethan does, but then you may not feel the need to read this series. And you HAVE to read this series.

0 comments:

Copyright © 2013 Something to Muse About and Blogger Templates - Anime OST.