In Review: Hit List by Laurell K. Hamilton

Published 6/7/11 336 pages
Publisher: Berkley Hardcover
Format: Hardcover
ISBN: 978-0425241134
The latest offering in the Anita Blake series, finds Anita out of town on official Marshal duty trailing a group of killers murdering non-clan tigers. Being on official duty is both a blessing and a curse for the story. It means none of her normal bevy of lovers are surrounding her, big yay and small boo cause that also means basically no Richard, which I know is a good thing, but I can’t help myself I do love him. But on the other hand there is not Nathaniel, Jean-Claude, or Micah, no vampire politics, which is kind of weird and wonderful. Is there no Master of the City here? But it also means we get lots of Edward time, which in turn leads to Bernardo and Olaf time which is always a good time.
The case brings Anita to Seattle, which could be any city really, since we don’t see the city, are only told it is Seattle and that the cops and Marshals on the case are unfamiliar. And as much as I love the Marshal aspect of the story, the pissing contest gets a little old, especially this far into the game. I get it, Anita is pretty and dainty and sleeping with the monsters, but the extreme prejudices and constant little dog syndrome/ Napoleon complexes is tiresome. Even if it is realistic, does so much time and woe is me, I’m a girl but I’m as tough as the guys and have to overcompensate to prove it crap have to take up so much page space? I think not, and really, in the Marshals’s defense there wasn’t a lot of actual case work done on her part because she knew the culprits the entire time, the Harlequin, that super-secret vampire and shifter group that cannot be named, and spent most of her time look for ways to go off and hunt them on her own. And she did bring not 1 but 2 of her lovers out, granted after the accusations had been made, but out with her on the case none the less, which did distract her.
And speaking of the big bad, the Harlequin and Marmee Noir have been built up in the series for a very long time, and here they were such a let down. I mean I’m not completely surprised, because how could she really go up against the legendary and survive but I expected a bigger payout. And since Jake was former Harlequin why was he not there, because wouldn’t that werewolf be a huge asset here? Maybe I missed something.
However a couple of key twists, which were probably the least surprising ever, have set up the next arc and their expected conclusion, which hopefully will have bigger surprises and a better conclusion than this one did.
Relationships have shifted. Anita has always been sort of awkward about sex, even if she does engage in a gratuitous amount, but her relationship with Edward has always been more mentor and ally, but never a hint of sexual. He’s always been the yin to her yang, but never so fiercely protective to the point of obsessive. I love Edward, he has the best toys, and that cold confidence is sexy, he always brings more to the table than the others but not everyone has to fall into bed with Anita, and this one feels more and more inevitable, which is sad. Same with Olaf, creepy, psychotic Olaf seems closer to hoping into bed with Anita than Bernardo ever could every time he steps on the page. And back a few books, I wouldn’t have minded a good tumble with Bernardo. And the new Olaf, may even be creepy than the old Olaf.
There is less arduer which is a blessing, a big huge hallelujah but doesn’t keep Anita from finding a new lover. And I mean seriously, when is enough, enough. She has so many men I lose track, most of which we never see, and many I forgot she slept with, why continue to add more unless they bring something to the story, more than filler, please be more than filler, because I this one doesn’t get on my nerves like some of the others. I feel like I need a spreadsheet to keep track, or a world book, can I get a world book with a neatly laid out sex track record?
Over all, the book was very Obsidian Butterfly, good bordering on great, but not one of the best of the series. For new readers, many of the relationships and some of her powers were explained or touched on so it was easy to catch up, though many may have been confused about  Anita being called Necromancer when no other hint of that ability was shown. And whatever happened to raising the dead? Or the animators of Animators Inc? Larry, anyone? For old readers it was a nice refresher.  The story could have used more action, but what action there is was really good. The plot had a good premise, though the ending ruined it a bit. Hit List by no means redeems the series, but brings back a little of that old Anita-world that many of us are fond of, which makes me more than hopeful for the next book.   

1 comment:

  1. I have read all of the Anita Blake series, and have enjoyed most of them, but to put it simply, Hit List sucked. It was a revisit that shouldn't have been done. I felt like I spent the first 3 quarters of the book waiting for something to happen. I have never had any trouble making it through one of her books, but this one was not easy. I don't know if I will continue with this series after reading this book. Very disappointing!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2013 Something to Muse About and Blogger Templates - Anime OST.