Romance Times Book Convention 2011






As an avid reader, not so much romance books as the title implies, I favor science fiction with the supernatural flavor and with a glint of romance in their stories. If there are vampires, werewolves, faeries or nephilims I would certainly read it. The underworld has always fascinated me, why I do not know but there has been a theory as to why Twilight, The Vampire Diaries and True Blood have hit so big in today's day and age. With all the relationships that people go through and end as quickly as they begin, people today are looking for something to hold on to as in an 'eternal love' in relationships. I for one am still looking for that one true love that will be perfect for me and me for him. I suppose you can say a soul mate if you really believe in that sort of thing. Vampires & werewolves have this mentality that love is forever so it only makes sense that we are drawn to these type of stories. The love triangles in each of these books turned into movies and television shows just adds more excitement and drama which many prefer. Who wants to read a boring story anyhow?

The RT Book Convention was held April 2, 2011 at the Westin Bonaventure Hotel in Los Angeles, Ca. There were over four hundred authors on Saturday from 11am-2pm for this giant book fair which included thirty nine young adult authors signing as part of teen day. Some of the more popular young adult authors include Cassandra Clare of the "Mortal Instruments" book series. These include 'City of Bones', 'City Of Ashes', 'City Of Glass', & 'City Of Fallen Angels'. Cassandra also wrote a spin off of this series, but rather a prequel to "The Mortal Instruments" called "The Infernal Devices" which include 'Clockwork Angel' and 'Clockwork Prince' soon to be released August 2011. When I spoke with Cassandra she said that the rights to all her books have already been bought and will be made for the big screen. Another popular author that attended the convention was Alyson Noel known for "The Immortals" book series that include 'Evermore', 'Blue Moon', 'Shadowland', 'Dark Flame','Nightstar', & 'Everlasting' which has a release date of June 2011. Alyson's books have been bought and will most likely be made into movies as well. Ok, one last author I will plug I promise and that is Melissa De La Cruz of the "Blue Bloods" series which include 'Blue Bloods', Masquerade', 'Revelations', 'The Van Allen Legacy', & 'Misguided Angel'. She has written a few more book series as well but the "Blue Bloods" have been the most popular among the young adults and adults just like me. I would even say that the majority of the people attending the RT Book Convention were adults rather than teens.

My cousin Jasmine and I brought rolling suitcases of all the books we owned and knew the authors that would be there to sign. I brought "The Hunger Games" book series just in case Suzanne Collins might happen to be there even though she was not on the list of scheduled authors. Just wishful thinking I suppose. "The Hunger Games" will start filming the first installment of the three book series this summer 2011 and will be released March 2012. Very, very excited for that one. All the authors were all so very nice and even asked us which characters were our favorites and why. I even overheard other people saying that they should have brought a rolling suitcase too because it's so hard to carry all of them especially if they are hardcovers!

I even got to meet the Men Of Romance contestants (winner gets to be on the cover of a romance novel) whom I became friends with. Last year's winner of Mr. Romance, Charles Paz, also a photographer like myself have been friends since we met and keep in touch on Facebook as well as the winner of this years Mr. Romance Len Gunn. These guys were not in the least bit arrogant or conceited due to their handsome looks, in fact just the opposite. They as well as the authors made my first book convention fun and memorable.

0 comments:

Copyright © 2013 Something to Muse About and Blogger Templates - Anime OST.