Tyler Posey on "Teen Wolf" Directing and Saying Goodbye to Scott McCall

Photo: Jenevia Kagawa Darcy

Tyler Posey has spent the last six years playing the lead role, Scott McCall, on MTV's Teen Wolf but in the show's final season he got to expand from being both an actor and a producer to also direct an episode. "I was thinking about it not too long ago; I've been doing stuff since I was a kid. I would always grab a camera and I would grab my little brother and be like, 'Stand there and say this!' I'd point at him and yell at him and then when he wouldn't do what I said I would get really mad and cry, and that's still kind of how I direct. I used to film stuff all the time with my brother and then as technology advanced I would start to edit on the computer. I was twelve years old and I would make skate videos with my friends. So I'd always been interested in it and I always loved it. It always seemed like something I was so interested in, like a passion.

Then as the years went on Teen Wolf, I wasn't fulfilled enough as an actor so I started producing not too long after the show started. I'd always expressed interest in directing. I'd been directing shorts with my friends where I'm not in them, I'm just doing all the camera work. I love doing camera work. I think I like that more than anything, I love operating a camera. It's so much fun. I always expressed interest in it and then I said, 'I want to direct!' I was just like, 'I'm gonna see if they'll let me.' I think at first they were just kind of appeasing me but then they really started to see how invested in it I was and how serious I took it. I think everyone was pretty impressed with me which is a really sweet interaction and reaction from them and I really appreciated that. Directing was the coolest.

For a long time on Teen Wolf, I kind of struggled a little bit because acting isn't my favourite thing. I don't know, I just felt like I wasn't fulfilled enough. Then I directed and it was great. I had a great time and it made me enjoy acting more. It was needed. I can't wait for you guys to see it and I hope that I get to do more shows/movies in the future. I think it's the start of something. I wasn't just doing it just to get the credit. I really want to do this.

I'm directing stuff with my friends. We're editing a short right now that's gonna be a five-part series and then we're editing another short. So we have all this stuff filmed, we've got all these ideas, but nothing official. It's all stuff that we're doing. But I've had talks with my friends from MTV and they've said that they're interested in maybe bringing me and doing an episode of some other MTV show which I would be honoured and humbled, I'm not worthy but we'll see!"

Posey is full of passion when speaking about what Teen Wolf means to him after six successful seasons. "It's hard to explain what it means to me. It's like a loved one, it really is. It's something that I love a lot and I really view it as a member of my life. It's like a child that I raised. It's odd, I've never felt that with anything before. I feel so connected to it. Last year at Comic Con when we heard that the show was coming to an end, I was watching this video of all of the promos that we've done for the show over the years and I was there for every single one of them. It really punched me in the gut and I was like, 'Oh my god!' I was crying and that was the first time it really felt like I'm losing this show. It's just changed my life in so many ways, in the best ways possible. I've gone through the hardest shit on the show and I've met my best friends on the show, and this show has given me opportunities that are gonna help me in my career and my life. I owe a lot to this show and it was there for me when I needed it. For a long time, it was a best friend of mine. I love it like my arm. It's like a part of me, it really is."

Scott McCall has been a truly compelling and inspiring character for his unwavering goodness and heart. Posey shares how playing such an aspirational character has effected him. "I brought a lot of myself to Scott. I like to think that I'm a lot like him but he has inspired me a lot to keep being a good guy and love your friends, and protect your family. He's just a great leader and doesn't want anything in return. He just wants people to be happy and I just admire that a lot. I think he and I teach each other a lot, cause I'm older than him and I've been around the block a few times. I think he learns a lot from me and I learn a lot from him. So really, I miss him. I'm gonna miss that dude a lot. I like him, I wanna hang out with him. He's taught me a lot."

Watch our interview with Tyler Posey here:

0 comments:

Copyright © 2013 Something to Muse About and Blogger Templates - Anime OST.