Game of Thrones Comic Con Panel 2011


The much anticipated Game of Thrones panel took place on Thursday, the first day of comic con, and I’m not sure why it was in Ballroom 20 (the biggest of the ballrooms, but still) when there were plenty of folks who waited in line for hours only to miss it, and the much larger Hall H sat fairly empty for much of the day. But we did manage to get in, and bring back pictures and a few tidbits from the event.





The panel was moderated by the genius author George R. R. Martin. Joining him were the ultra sexy king slayer: Nikolaj Coaster-Waldau (Jamie Lannister), the too adorable bastard son: Kit Harrington (Jon Snow), the beautiful incestuous queen everyone loves to hate: Lena Headey (Cersei Lannister), the vice ridden, quick thinking, brilliant and did I mention Emmy nominated: Peter Dinklage (Tyrion Lannister), the larger than life and still in full Khal makeup: Jason Momoa (Khal Drogo), the newcomer, fully clothed, dragonless beauty: Emilia Clarke (Daenerys Targaryen), and writer/producers David Benioff, and DB Weiss.

Jason Momoa was an obvious fan favorite during the entire panel, for the guy who got killed off during the season, people were very excited about him. And those fans were the ones who actually got Jason cast in the first place. Apparently unable to find the right guy who embodied Drogo the producers turned to fan sites, and struck gold when pretty unanimously they all said Jason Momoa. “No offense, I hadn’t heard of you before,” said executive producer David Benoiff. “I hadn’t kept up on my Baywatch.” Later Jason threw his lot in with Drogo when asked who would win a fight between Khal Drogo and Conan (whom he also plays in this summer’s movie reboot) “Between you and me, Drogo would kick Conan’s ass.”

David Benioff likened the phenomenal series to “crack on paper” and author George R. R. Martin was asked why he loves killing off his beloved characters. His answer was simple.  “It keeps you on your toes,” he replied. “I want people emotionally involved in my story. … I want readers to be afraid to turn the page, not knowing who’s going to live and die.” And I know as I read each book I struggle not to read the ending and ruin the whole thing, just so that I can know who makes it out alive. Martin insisted "I mourn all the characters as I kill them - I tell myself, it's not me killing them, it's the other characters."












The content of the DVDs was also discussed. Although there won’t be any deleted scenes as most of the content shot was used, there will be the first auditions of all the actors, including the dance that Jason Momoa did that won him the role. Apparently sometimes breaking into a spontaneous dance during an interview does indeed get you the results you want. Peter Dinklage gave a little shimmy of his own on stage, when the fans started chanting for Momoa’s dance. Benioff noted that the dance wasn’t even actually in the scene Jason was reading, but Jason went for it, and ripped open his shirt.











And yes next season, as well as later seasons, were also mentioned. “Everyone dies,” Benoiff joked. “It was all a dream,” added Weiss. But seriously, new characters will be introduced, like the Red Priestess and some more bad stuff from the wall. The dragons and wolves will be growing up. They plan to stick with the short seasons for each of the books, and if there is a season three, it’s probably going to be broken up into two seasons, as Storm of Swords is just too big and there are too many important points for a single season. But Benioff went one to say that no matter what happens the Battle of Blackwater will be in the show even if they have to start collecting fan donations to fund the battle. “We’re going to pass my hat around to get some extra contributions,” Martin joked.













And finally the ending. The cast was asked where they’d like to see Martin end their characters, as he hasn’t finished the series yet: Kit: “I want Jon Snow to be on the throne.” Nikolaj: “20 years later…it’s a small cottage, Jaime and Cersei sitting there, ‘finally my love, finally.’” Lena: “Bring Khal Drogo back for sure and have him and Tyrion co-rule.” Peter: “Dance number.” And although no one asked Martin that, one fan did ask if he was concerned about “pulling a Lost.” “Well I think Damon Lindelof is in the room, so I have to be careful what I say. Yes, I am concerned about the ending. I’m juggling a lot of balls. I’m going to juggle as fast as I can and bring everything together in the magnificent way I see it in my head. In terms of people happy, hopefully it will make some people happy. I’ve always been a fan of the bittersweet ending. I’ve said to people that’s what to expect.”

0 comments:

Copyright © 2013 Something to Muse About and Blogger Templates - Anime OST.